If you are visiting this page it must mean you are interested in either becoming a writer or improving your writing. Congratulations! It shows you have a teachable spirit and I am honored to share with you the resources that have been shared with me or I have discovered along the journey. If you have recommendations, feel free to email me so I can share the joy.
Below you will find several categories:
– Professional Organizations
– Writing Communities
– Informational Websites
– Suggested Podcasts
– Blog Posts About Writing Craft
If you are looking for suggested Writing Craft Books, click here.
Also, I have begun teaching writing workshops (most are focused for teens and beginning writers). Check out my speaking tab, or contact me. I love helping others on their journeys.
- American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) is a professional community of serious writers, both published and unpublished. It does require a membership fee but the benefits are worth it. Through the community, you can connect with other writers face to face in writer’s groups. You can also take online courses, submit portions of your writing to critique groups, participate in contests, and attend a national writer’s conference.
- Romance Writers of America ® (RWA®) is a nonprofit trade association whose mission is to advance the professional and common business interests of career-focused romance writers through networking and advocacy and by increasing public awareness of the romance genre. RWA works to support the efforts of its members to earn a living, to make a full-time career out of writing romance—or a part-time one that generously supplements their main income. (Dues Required, and proof of serious pursuit. Check out the website for details.)
- Novel.Academy is an online educational community with weekly Pep Talks focused on developing your writing craft. A monthly membership is required, but you have access to many courses. Lots are included, although specific courses can be purchased. I highly recommend the membership as well as the Build a Book Program. This program has helped me grow as a writer the most.
- The Young Writer -An interactive, online learning community for young Christian writers in their teens and early twenties. This is another paid community but geared strictly for young authors.
Seekerville is a Christian community of fiction writers will help you to grow your craft, help you connect with other writers at all levels, and will provide you with the encouragement and challenges needed to push your forward.
A Seat at the Table – This is a Facebook Group where members mingle and discuss with friends of Christian Publishing – authors, editors, book reviewers, readers, agents, publishers, all are welcome here!
*Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the businesses, schools, or individuals presented below, nor do I necessarily share their views. As always, do your homework before spending any money. These are only recommended sites to visit to learn more.
- Setting Up a Website / Blog – A How-To Guide for beginners
- Career options for English Majors – See mid-bottom of the page
Helping Writers Become Authors – “My goal in running Helping Writers Become Authors and the awesomesauce community of Wordplayers that has grown up around it is to show you how to write your best story–change your life–and astound the world.” – K.M. Weiland
- Writing for Theater and Film – Learn some basic information on writing for the theater and film industries through this post and links to other resources.
Helping Writers Become Authors Podcast
Helping Writers Become Authors provides writers help in summoning inspiration, crafting solid characters, outlining and structuring novels, and polishing prose. Learn how to write a book and edit into a story agents will buy and readers will love.
Write from the Deep
Encouragement, refreshment, and truth from writers for writers. Every writer, at some point, faces the deep places of crushing trials and struggles. But the Deep is also a place where we learn to abide in God as never before. This podcast reminds writers they’re not alone, and equips and helps them to embrace the deep, to discover their truest voice and message, and to share it with refined craft and renewed passion.
This is the show for writers who hate marketing, but still, want to become bestselling authors. Our goal is to make book promotion fun and easy by connecting you with innovative marketing strategies that work.
The Christian Publishing Show
The Christian Publishing Show is a podcast to help Christian authors change the world. We talk about how to improve in the craft of writing, how to get pubished, and how to market effectively. Get expert advice from industry insiders.
The Write Call Posts on Writing:
- Male POV Part 1
- Male POV Part 2
- Male POV Part 3
- Character Voice
- Developing Well-Rounded Characters: Archetypes
- Developing Well-Rounded Characters: Traits
- Developing Well-Rounded Characters: Dark Moment Stories